All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.64Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionThe events of September 11, 2001 sharply revived governmental and societal anxieties in many democratic countries concerning the threats posed by terrorism, organized crime, the proliferation and use of weapons of mass destruction, and other complex security threats. In many countries, public discourse of subjects traditionally considered part of social policy, such as immigration and asylum, have been securitized, while intelligence services have been granted greater resources and expanded powers. This comprehensive volume discusses the various challenges of establishing and maintaining accountable and democratically controlled intelligence services, drawing both from states with well-established democratic systems and those emerging from authoritarian systems and in transition towards democracy. It adopts a multidisciplinary and comparative approach, identifying good practices to make security services accountable to society and its democratic representatives. The volume will engage both academics and practitioners in the discussion of how to anchor these vital yet inherently difficult to control institutions within a firmly democratic framework. As such, it has clear relevance for these concerned with the control and oversight of intelligence and security issues in many countries.
- Author BiographyHans Born is Coordinator of the Working Group on Parliamentary Control of Armed Forces(PCAF), at DCAF, Switzerland. Marina Caparini is Coordinator of the Working Group on Internal Security and Civil Society at DCAF, Switzerland.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/06/2007
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight620 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byDr Hans Born,Ms Marina Caparini
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.