All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionThey still call it the most sensational fight ever for the world heavyweight championship, between champion Jack Dempsey and his hammer-fisted Argentine challenger, Luis Angel Firpo. Back in the Roaring Twenties, 85,000 packed into New York's Polo Grounds to see all three minutes fifty-seven seconds of it. Nobody asked for their money back. In the first round Firpo was floored seven times, but got up to deck the champion, then kcked him clean into the press section. Pushed back into the ring as the count reached nine, the champion survived the round, thinking he had been kcked out. In round two, Dempsey kcked Firpo out in fifty-seven seconds. The four-minute Fight of the Century was over! 'The Wild Bull of the Pampas' became Argentina's most famous citizen, after the infamous Perons. Dempsey, half a million dollars richer, rested and rusted for three years before losing his title to Gene Tunney.
- Author BiographyJohn Jarrett is the author of six books, including Toy Bulldog: The Fighting Life and Times of Mickey Walker; Dynamite Gloves on boxing's big punchers; and Gene Tunney, the Golden Guy who Licked Jack Dempsey Twice. John has been a boxing writer for 50 years, and has been Northern Area Secretary for the British Boxing Board of Control since 1977.
- PublisherPitch Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication16/07/2015
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationHove
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPitch Publishing Ltd
- Weight340 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.