All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionDescribing Who? reveals the significance of photographs taken in contemporary Poland by professional American, French and Israeli Jewish photographers. Writing critically from the vantage point of her Polish and Jewish background, Joanna Auron-Gorska argues that while visual representations of Poland and the Poles may appear atemporal, they are neither ahistorical r apolitical. They are, instead, influenced by the culturally conditioned construct within which Poland serves to maintain the memory of the Shoah, by war trauma, and by post-war politics. The attitudes of foreign Western Jewry to n-Jewish Poles and Poland have so far received limited scholarship; this analysis is a contribution towards enlightening the conversation between Poles and Jews from outside of Poland.
- Author BiographyJoanna Auron-Gorska is a scholar and practitioner of Jewish-Polish relations, a writer, an artist, a photographer, an interpreter, a translator and a lecturer. Her main interests include Polish and Jewish identity, visual representation, cultural studies and interfaith dialogue.
- Author(s)Joanna Auron-Gorska
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication26/11/2014
- Series TitleWarsaw Studies in Jewish History and Memory
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight320 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.