Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
About this product
- DescriptionDesert Isles & Pirate Islands examines the development of the island theme in nineteenth-century English juvenile fiction. The earliest island stories, Robinsonnades designed to teach both piety and natural history, gave way in mid-century to adventure stories with their primary emphasis on excitement and entertainment. By the end of the Victorian era, while elements of the Robinsonnade still featured in adventure fiction, the island story accommodated other traditions. It was particularly in the periodicals kwn as 'penny dreadfuls' that the island story became a lively and often lurid tale of pirates and their buried treasure. The book contains a detailed 505-item bibliography of stories on the island theme appearing in England from 1788 to 1910. Sixty-five illustrations reproduced from contemporary children's books and periodicals depict typical characters, situations and motifs in this fiction.
- Author(s)Kevin Carpenter
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/12/1984
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Noteill
- Weight360 g
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.