All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAccording to legend, the Bedouin tribes of pre-Islamic Arabia held poetry competitions during annual fairs near Mecca. The wining poems called Mu allaqat, or Hanging Odes, were embroidered in gold on banners and suspended from the walls of Arabia s most sacred shrine, Ka ba. Desert Tracings is a translation of six classical sixth to eighth century odes. Arabic codes (qasidas) traditionally begin with the relationship of the lover to the loved. Usually set at opening in the beloved s abandoned desert campsite, where the only evidence that remains is tent marks and torrent beds in the sand naked tracings, / worn thin, like inscriptions/ carved in flat stones the qasida moves gracefully through the thematic parts, the lover s grief, the quest, and the final acceptance of a world deprived of the beloved. Like the oryx-doe trapped within the unyielding cycles of the desert world. As Michael Sells writes in his introduction, the qasidahas been overshadowed in the West by other Arabic literature, such as The Arabian Nights, but the qasidais the primary literary tradition in both pre-Islamic and Islamic Arabia. The remarkable richness of language and range of mood captured in theses translations help explain their enduring fascination.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL A. SELLS was graduated from Gonzaga University in Washington (A.B. 1971) and from the University of Chicago (Ph.D. 1982). He was Andrew W. Mellon postdoctoral fellow in the humanities at Stanford from 1982 to 1984. Since 1984 he has been assistant professor of Islam and comparative religions at Haverford College. He has been poetry editor of the Chicago Review. His home is in Haverford, Pennsylvania.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/05/1989
- LanguageArabic & English
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content NoteFrontis.
- Weight145 g
- Width140 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Translated byM. Sells
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.