All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe aim of the book is to encourage anyone embarking on the construction of a stable yard - whether a single-horse owner or the proprietor of a large professional establishment - to consider aspects of the design in order to produce stables and facilities which are functional and provide an environment in which horses can thrive. Author Keith Warth explains that it is t possible to design appropriate buildings for horses without understanding their physiological requirements, behaviour and individual mannerisms and kwing what could be detrimental to their well-being. First and foremost the stable should be dry. Secondly it should provide adequate ventilation to provide continual fresh air and remove unwanted, moist, stale air. Thirdly the stable should be safe for the horse and easy to manage for the user. Among the detailed topics discussed are: * Basic requirements of a good stable * Planning a yard - optimum layout and planning permission * Constructing and kitting out stables - flooring, drainage, roofing, walls, doors, windows, stable fittings * Key yard constructions - e.g. feed rooms, tack rooms, rug storage areas, washing-down rooms * Turut, schooling and training facilities - e. g. lungeing arenas, outdoor and indoor schools * Services, fire precautions and waste disposal - drainage, electricity and water supply, muck disposal, safety * Converting existing buildings, and maintenance and repair The basic principles of good stable design are relevant for all horses and ponies - so whether accommodating an Olympic equine athlete or a family pony, any horse or pony in your care should be housed in a safe environment which caters adequately for his needs - and this book shows you how.
- Author BiographyKeith Warth is a practising architect based near Cambridge. He specialises in designing stables and yards for horses, both small scale and large. He cares passionately for the well-being of horses and how they are kept, and this is reflected in the advice given in this book, his second for J.A. Allen on the matter of stable design.
- Author(s)Keith Warth
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ.A.Allen & Co Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations (colour)
- Weight522 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.88Trending at AU $87.94
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.15
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.33
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.66
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $44.93
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.12
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.