All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionDomestic advice literature is rich in information about design, ideals of domesticity, consumption and issues of identity, yet this literature remains a relatively neglected resource in comparison with magazines and film. Design at Home brings together etiquette, homemaking and home decoration advice as sources in the first systematic demonstration of the historical value of domestic advice literature as a genre of word and image, and a discourse of dominance. This book traces a transatlantic domestic dialogue between the UK and the US as the chapters explore issues of design, domesticity, consumption, social interaction and identity markers including class, gender and age. Areas covered include: * the use of domestic advice by historians * relationships between advice, housing and the middle class * links between advice and gender * advice and the teenage consumer Design at Home is essential reading for students and scholars of cultural and social history, design history, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyGrace Lees-Maffei is a Reader in Design History at the University of Hertfordshire and the Managing Editor of the Journal of Design History. She researches the mediation of design, edited Writing Design: Words and Objects and co-edited Made in Italy: Rethinking a Century of Italian Design and The Design History Reader.
- Author(s)Grace Lees-Maffei
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/12/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleDirections in Cultural History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables, 58 black & white halftones
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.