All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionIn a brilliant syntehesis of words and pictures, Edmund N. Bacon relates historical examples to modern principles of urban plannig. He vividly demonstrates how the work of great architects and planners of the past can influence subsequent develpment and be continued by later generations. By illuminating the historical background of urban design, Bacon also shows us the fundamental forces and considerations that determine the form of a great city. Perhaps the most significant of these are sumultaneous movement systems--the paths of pedestrian and vehicular traffic, public and private transportation--that serve as the dominant organizing force, and Bacon looks at movement systems in cities such as London, Rome, and New York. He also stresses the importance of designing on the city-dweller. That the centers of cities should and can be pleasant places in which to live, work, and relax is illustrated by such examples as Rotterdam and Stockholm.
- Author Biography<b>Edmund N. Bacon</b> was born in Philadelphia and studied architecture at Cornell University and at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, under Eliel Saarinen. In 1938, after two years as a city planner in Flint, Michigan, Mr. Bacon became managing director of the Philadelphia Planning Commission from 1949 until his retirement in 1970. Under his leadership Philadeplphia became engaged in a continuous program of restoration and rebuilding that has become famous around the world. In 1971 Mr. Bacon was awarded the American Institute of Planners Distinguished Service Award for his innovations and achievements as Director of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission.
- Author(s)Edmund N. Bacon
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/01/1977
- Series TitleA Penguin book
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date25/10/2004
- Content Noteillustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight917 g
- Width205 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.