All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscussion on the Web is mediated through layers of software and protocols. As scholars increasingly study communication and learning on the Internet, it is essential to consider how site administrators, programmers, and designers create interfaces and enable functionality. The managers, administrators, and designers of online communities can turn to more than 20 years of technical books for guidance on how to design online communities toward particular objectives. Through analysis of this how-to literature, Designing Online Communities explores the discourse of design and configuration that partially structures online communities and later social networks. Tracking the history of tions of community in these books suggests the emergence of a logic of permission and control. Online community defies many conventional tions of community. Participants are increasingly treated as users, or even as commodities themselves to be used. Through consideration of the particular tactics of these administrators, this book suggests how researchers should approach the study and analysis of the records of online communities.
- Author BiographyTrevor Owens is a digital archivist at the Library of Congress. He holds a doctorate in social science research methods from George Mason University. His research has been published in journals such as Curator: The Museum Journal, Digital Humanities Quarterly, and Science Communication. In 2014, he received the Society for American Archivists' Archival Innovator Award.
- Author(s)Trevor Owens
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication27/02/2015
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Series TitleNew Literacies and Digital Epistemologies
- Series Part/Volume Number72
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight330 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.