Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionFrom consumer products to architecture to advertising to digital techlogy, design is an undeniably global phemen. Yet despite their professed transnational perspective, historical studies of design have all too often succumbed to a bias toward Western, industrialized nations. This diverse but rigorously curated collection recalibrates our understanding of design history, reassessing regional and national cultures while situating them within an international context. Here, contributors from five continents offer nuanced studies that range from South Africa to the Czech Republic, all the while sensitive to the complexities of local variation and the role of nation-states in identity construction.
- Author BiographyKjetil Fallan is Professor of Design History at the University of Oslo. He is the author of Design History: Understanding Theory and Method (2010), editor of Scandinavian Design: Alternative Histories (2012), and co-editor, with Grace Lees-Maffei, of Made in Italy: Rethinking a Century of Italian Design (2013). Grace Lees-Maffei is Reader in Design History at the University of Hertfordshire. The Managing Editor of the Journal of Design History, she is also the author of Design at Home: Domestic Advice Literature in the UK and the US since 1945 (2014), editor of Writing Design (2012), and co-editor of The Design History Reader (2010).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication24/06/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleMaking Sense of History
- Series Part/Volume Number24
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note72 illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byGrace Lees-Maffei,Kjetil Fallan
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.