All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionDesire and Disillusionment: A Guide to American Fiction Since 1890 departs from the typical academic study in that it appeals to the general reading public, undergraduate and graduate students, and literary scholars. The book's focus on a highly relatable subject, longing and loss, its running plot summaries, and lucid presentation account for this broad appeal. Lawrence E. Hussman examines selected vels and short stories of fifty major American fiction writers from Stephen Crane to Jut Diaz. The reader will also find references to American politics, history, and popular culture in the book. Additionally, the author's decidedly original, provocative critical approach delivers new insights that will reshape thinking about American literature as a reflection of the nation's way of life. Literary critics will find the discussion of naturalism as a bridge to modernism and postmodernism especially enlightening. Furthermore, the book includes a summary of ideas about desire from the ancient philosophers to today's scientists who study the brain. Desire and Disillusionment can serve as a stimulating textbook in American literature, history, or philosophy classes.
- Author BiographyLawrence E. Hussman is Professor Emeritus of English at Wright State University. He is the author of numerous scholarly essays and influential, highly acclaimed books focusing on the fiction of Theodore Dreiser and Frank Norris. Moreover, he has written two works of popular nonfiction, Counterterrorist and Danger's Disciple. He holds a doctorate in English from the University of Michigan and, in addition to his academic career in the United States, he has taught American literature in Europe as a Fulbright scholar and as a visiting professor.
- Author(s)Lawrence E. Hussman
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication23/08/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleModern American Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number64
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight630 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.