Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on parents and teachers as adult learners, who should be growing and learning along with the children in their care. It lays out a theory of what parents and teachers need to care for children and themselves and then it shows how the author has assisted parents and teachers to put these theories into practice. McDermott relies on stories and listening to the voices of parents, teachers and children to make her case. She weaves together the latest theories and research with these stories. She uses narratives of actual school meetings, workshops, parent planning and discussion groups, testimonies, newsletters, and research of others in the field, to demonstrate applications of theory and research. She fills a gap by focusing on parents from all socioecomic backgrounds. Key Features: o Focuses on parents and teachers as adult learners o Focuses on the dynamic process of parenting and teaching o Provides a theory to practice model to support parents, families and teachers o Provides a tool or guide for thinking through problems and finding solutions that take into consideration the needs of all involved.
- Author BiographyDana McDermott is an assistant professor at the School for New Learning at DePaul University. She has worked for over two decades in the Chicago area, nationally and internationally in the area of parent and family development. In Chicago she has been involved in minority parent leadership and in implementing parent education programs for children in schools from K-12 and for their parents. She serves on two national boards: Prepare Tomorrow's Parents an organization dedicated to promoting and supporting parenting education in schools and the National Parenting Education Network dedicated to supporting parenting educators in their work. She consults with schools and parent groups in the areas of parenting, teaching caring, social and emotional development of children and violence prevention. She is a member of the National and Illinois Councils on Family Relations.
- Author(s)Dana R. McDermott
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication05/09/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width187 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.