All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo function in the diverse world of the twenty-first century requires a crucial ability to navigate its international and interconnected environments effectively. Such a skill may be defined as cultural capability and developing it is at the forefront of this book, as it guides readers in considering their own experiences of learning and teaching in culturally varied contexts of higher education. Using information that builds upon data gained from several years of practice, across a range of countries and institutions the author considers in detail four main themes: * Learning, teaching and assessment as a cultural product of higher education * Personal and professional interactions between staff and students * The political and personal dimensions of the internationalisation of higher education * Methodological and ethical considerations when conducting research across cultures These themes provide for rich opportunities to learn from and about others, about our similarities and differences. In this way, Developing Cultural Capability celebrates a world that is multicultural and interdependent, encouraging operation beyond local and national perspectives. Conducting cross-cultural research is t new, but this book shows how narrative inquiry may be a particularly rich - and sensitive - approach in such research in higher education. By writing as a practitioner researcher who has reflected, extensively and critically, on her own practice, the author here gathers together empirical research, case studies and personal reflections, beliefs and assumptions into an invative account of cultural capability. Through these rich accounts, this book stimulates researchers or practitioners grappling with the cultural complexity of higher education today to reflect on their own practices, proposing some ways to create environments that are more inclusive.
- Author BiographySheila Trahar is Senior Lecturer in Education at the Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol and Director of the Master in Education taught at the City University of Hong Kong.
- Author(s)Sheila Trahar
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2010
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight302 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.