All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.78
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionImmigrant parents are frequently advised by teachers, doctors and speech therapists to stop speaking the native language at home so as t to confuse children with input from two languages. However, this view is t supported by empirical linguistic and social evidence. This book sheds light on some of the common myths around being bilingual and explores the processes of dual language development among Korean children growing up in the United States. The book sensibly argues that the bilingualism of linguistic mirity children is a resource to be cultivated, t a problem to be overcome. In addition, it explores various educational, social and ecomic pressures which hamper intergenerational transmission of heritage languages, and discusses factors that contribute to successful bilingual raising of children in spite of these pressures. A welcome addition to the growing literature on bilingual development, this book offers useful suggestions for parents, teachers and policy makers who are interested in promoting the development and maintenance of bilingual competence in linguistic mirity children.
- Author BiographySarah J. Shin is Assistant Professor of Education and Co-Director of the MA Program in ESOL/Bilingual Education at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. A 1.5 generation Korean immigrant to the US, she specializes in various aspects of bilingualism, heritage language education, and second language writing.
- Author(s)Sarah J. Shin
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2004
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleChild Language & Child Development S.
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 5
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight263 g
- Width147 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.