CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.87Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionDevelopments in the Histories of Sexualities: In Search of the Normal,1600-1800 explores the oppositions created by the official exclusion of banned sexual practices and the resistance to that exclusion through widespread acceptance of those outlawed practices at an interpersonal level. At different times and in different places, state legislation sets up-or tries to set up-a rmal by rejecting a particular practice or group of practices. Yet this rmal is derogated by popular practice, since the banned acts themselves are thought at the grassroots level to be rmal. Among the events discussed in these essays are the Woods-Pirie trial, the Ladies of Llangollen, the popular acceptance of fops and mollies, and the press reaction to the discovery that James Allen was a woman who had lived successfully as a man and Lavinia Edwards was a man who had made her living as a female prostitute. Developments in the History of Sexualities analyzes both the state language of bans and fiats about sexuality, and the grassroots language which marks the acceptance of multiplicity in sexual practice. Contributors benefit from the accumulation of new evidence of attitudes towards sexual practice, and they engage with a wide range of texts, including Ned Ward's History of the Clubs, Tobias Smollett's Roderick Random, Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew and The Tempest, Dryden's All for Love, Anne Batten Cristall's Poetical Sketches, Isaac de Benserade's Iphis et Iante, and Alessandro Verri's Le Avventure di Saffo.
- Author BiographyChris Mounsey is professor of English at the University of Winchester.
- PublisherBucknell University Press
- Date of Publication11/04/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleTransits: Literature, Thought & Culture, 1650-1850
- Place of PublicationCranbury
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBucknell University Press
- Weight631 g
- Width162 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byChris Mounsey
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.