All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $26.28Trending at AU $27.49
- AU $11.52Trending at AU $12.78
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.59
- AU $12.50Trending at AU $13.20
- AU $23.07Trending at AU $30.59
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $10.86Trending at AU $13.87
About this product
- DescriptionFor readers of Unbroken comes an unforgettable tale of courage from America s forgotten war in Korea, by the New York Times bestselling author of A Higher Call. Devotion tells the inspirational story of the U.S. Navy s most famous aviator duo, Lieutenant Tom Hudner and Ensign Jesse Brown, and the Marines they fought to defend. A white New Englander from the country-club scene, Tom passed up Harvard to fly fighters for his country. An African American sharecropper s son from Mississippi, Jesse became the navy s first black carrier pilot, defending a nation that wouldn t even serve him in a bar. While much of America remained divided by segregation, Jesse and Tom joined forces as wingmen in Fighter Squadron 32. Adam Makos takes us into the cockpit as these bold young aviators cut their teeth at the world s most dangerous job landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier a line of work that Jesse s young wife, Daisy, struggles to accept. Deployed to the Mediterranean, Tom and Jesse meet the Fleet Marines, boys like PFC Red Parkinson, a farm kid from the Catskills. In between war games in the sun, the young men revel on the Riviera, partying with millionaires and even befriending the Hollywood starlet Elizabeth Taylor. Then comes the war one expected, in faraway Korea. Devotion takes us soaring overhead with Tom and Jesse, and into the foxholes with Red and the Marines as they battle a North Korean invasion. As the fury of the fighting escalates and the Marines are cornered at the Chosin Reservoir, Tom and Jesse fly, guns blazing, to try and save them. When one of the duo is shot down behind enemy lines and pinned in his burning plane, the other faces an unthinkable choice: watch his friend die or attempt history s most audacious one-man rescue mission. A tug-at-the-heartstrings tale of bravery and selflessness, Devotion asks: How far would you go to save a friend? Praise for Devotion Riveting . . . a meticulously researched and moving account. USA Today An inspiring tale . . . portrayed by Makos in sharp, fact-filled prose and with strong reporting. Los Angeles Times [A] must-read. New York Post Stirring. Parade A masterful storyteller . . . [Makos brings] Devotion to life with amazing vividness. . . . [It] reads like a dream. The perfectly paced story cruises along in the fast lane when you re finished, you ll want to start all over again. Associated Press A delight to read . . . Devotion is a story you will t forget. The Washington Times My great respect for Tom Hudner kws bounds. He is a true hero; and in reading this book, you will understand why I feel that way. President George H. W. Bush This is aerial drama at its best fast, powerful, and moving. Erik Larson, New York Times bestselling author of Dead Wake Though it concerns a famously cold battle in the Korean War, make mistake: Devotion will warm your heart. Hampton Sides, New York Times bestselling author of Ghost Soldiers and In the Kingdom of Ice At last, the Korean War has its epic, a story that will stay with you long after you close this book. Eric Blehm, New York Times bestselling author of Fearless and Legend From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyAdam Makos is a journalist and the author of the New York Times bestseller A Higher Call. Inspired by his grandfathers World War II stories, he has interviewed countless veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and present-day battles. In pursuit of a story, Makos has flown a World War II bomber, accompanied a Special Forces raid in Iraq, and organized an expedition into North Korea in search of an MIA American serviceman. He lives in Denver. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Adam Makos
- PublisherRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Date of Publication27/10/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Weight272 g
- Width130 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byDominic Hoffman
- Contained items statement12 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time870
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.