All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $48.59
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionIn the fall of 2001, a newlywed English professor took on a job editing the women's section of one of Pakistan's leading Urdu newspapers. She soon transformed pages of celebrity gossip and fashion advice into a vehicle for the investigation of the true lives of Pakistani women. News of acid attacks on hapless women, the trading of girls as currency in tribal disputes, and other abuses transformed this young mother into a fiery advocate for women's rights-one guided by Islamic ethics and ideals of social justice as she taught rural leaders to distinguish between religion and tribal custom. Her commitment to her countrywomen led her to a seat in the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, where she fought to protect women, girls, and the poor. Humaira Awais Shahid's extraordinarily warm and passionate voice provides remarkable insight into how Islamic values and ethics might yet be a vehicle for progressive change in the developing world.
- Author BiographyHumaira Awais Shahid is a journalist and a two-term member of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab. She lives in Lahore, Pakistan. Kelly Horan is a writer and award-winning public radio producer. She lives in Boston.
- Author(s)Humaira Awais Shahid
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication04/04/2014
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note8 pages of photographs
- Weight580 g
- Width165 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.