All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionPublished in collaboration with the Royal Irish Academy, the Dictionary of Irish Biography is the most comprehensive and authoritative biographical reference work available both in print and online for Ireland. From James Ussher to James Joyce, St Patrick to Patrick Pearse, St Brigit to Maud Gonne MacBride, Maria Edgeworth to Elizabeth Bowen, Edward Carson to Bobby Sands, this indispensable resource outlines the careers at home and overseas of prominent men and women born in Ireland, rth and south, and the teworthy Irish careers of those born outside Ireland. Distinctive features of the Dictionary include the particular attention paid to outstanding women who have previously been overlooked and its broad coverage of the modern period. * 9 volumes, over 9,000 entries, covering 9,700 lives, ranging from the earliest times to 2002 * Biographical subjects include: artists, scientists, lawyers, actors, musicians, writers, politicians, criminals, and saints * Compiled by 700 expert advisors and contributors * Articles range from 200 to 15,000 words, from fascinating short summaries to detailed assessments.
- Author BiographyJames McGuire is an early modern historian, who taught Irish history at University College Cork and afterwards at University College Dublin. Joint editor of Irish Historical Studies (1987-92), he was appointed Chairman of the Irish Manuscripts Commission in 2003, and in 2007 he was elected a member of the Royal Irish Academy. James Quinn's specialist interest is in the writing of Irish history in the nineteenth century. He is the author of two biographies, Soul on Fire: a Life of Thomas Russell (2002) and John Mitchel (2008).
- PrizesWinner of PROSE Awards: Multivolume Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences 2009.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/11/2009
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight22200 g
- Width180 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine205 mm
- Edited byJames McGuire,James Quinn
- Contained items statementContains 9 Hardbacks
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.