Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionDid you ever need to spell dogie (as in, get-along-little) or need to kw what a sakey is? This is the book that can tell you how to spell, prounce, and define over 5,000 terms relative to the American West.Want to kw what a breachy cow is? Turn to page 43 to learn that it's an adjective used to describe a cow that has a tendency to find her way through fences where she isn't supposed to be. It describes some teenagers we kw!Spend hours perusing the dictionary at random, or read straight through to get a flavor of the West from its beginnings to contemporary days. Laced with photographs and maps, the Dictionary of the American West will make you sound like an expert on all things western, even if you don't kw a dingus from a dinner plate.Compiled of words brought into English from Native Americans, emigrants, Mormons, Hispanics, migrant workers, loggers, and fur trappers, the dictionary opens up history and culture in an enchanting way. From Aarigaa! to zopilote, the Dictionary of the American West is a valuable book, a treasure for any literate American's library. - Tony Hillerman.
- Author BiographyWIN BLEVINS is an award-winning author of thirteen books, including Give Your Heart to the Hawks, Stone Song, and Ravenshadow. He lives in Utah's Canyonlands.
- Author(s)Win Blevins
- PublisherTexas Christian University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/10/2008
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationFort Worth
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Christian University Press,U.S.
- Content Note51 b&w photos, 3 maps, bib
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.