Digitizing Collections: Strategic Issues for the Information Manager by Lorna M. Hughes, David Green (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $128.06+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionThe proliferation of developments in digital techlogy makes choosing the right method of digitizing resources an increasingly complex process for information organizations. This techlogy is a key way forward in the twenty-first century, but it is important to develop a strategy to fully assess the costs and benefits of going ahead with a digitization project, and to kw when it is the right or the wrong time to do so. This book presents information managers with all the strategic and practical issues to consider when making the decision to digitize their collections. It runs through the digitization process step by step, outlines the different techniques available to deal with a wide range of library resources, and explores the opportunities offered by a collaborative approach to digitization. Fully case- and evidence-based, the text is supported by examples of digitization projects carried out in various types of libraries around the world, and by an extensive list of sources of further information. Divided into two main sections, 'Strategic Decision Making' and 'Digitizing Collections', the chapters include: * Why digitize? The costs and benefits of digitization * Selecting materials for digitization * Intellectual property, copyright and other legal issues * The institutional framework * The importance of collaboration * Project planning and funding * Managing a digitization project * Digitization of rare and fragile materials * Digitization of audio and moving image collections * Digitization of text and images. Readership: This key international text offers information managers the benefit of a fully strategic approach to digitization and substantial experience drawn from leading digitization projects. It is also essential reading for managers in heritage institutions such as museums, galleries and local archives, and for students of information science.
- Author BiographyProfessor Lorna Hughes is the University of Wales Chair in Digital Collections, based in the National Library of Wales. She is a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies.
- Author(s)David Green,Lorna M. Hughes
- PublisherFacet Publishing
- Date of Publication15/12/2003
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleDigital Futures
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFacet Publishing
- Weight644 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.