All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.76Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionThis study presents a comprehensive, balanced and factually grounded narrative of the Turco-Greek Exchange of Populations as a historic event that has been the subject of much distortion in the historiographical traditions of nationalist lore in Greece and Turkey, as well as in scholarly publications of various sorts elsewhere over the span of the past eighty years. Diplomacy and Displacement contributes to the general literature on the Exchange by incorporating into the broader picture the Turkish dimension of the event, particularly the Turkish side of the decision-making process, and the episode of the Muslim refugees that have been left outside the scope of the research agenda, thereby, breaking up the established tion of the Exchange skewed towards the Greek side. It thus sheds doubt on the success paradigm attributed to this event. By adopting a people-centered approach to the Lausanne Treaty and its consequences, the book offers a critique of official versions of the story and encourages people to consider policy decisions together with their huge and often devastating implications for the lives of ordinary people.
- Author BiographyThe author holds a PhD from Princeton University and is currently Associate Professor at the Department of Economics, Middle East Technical University (Ankara). He is the author of various articles published in journals such as International Review of Social History and East European Quarterly and also the contributor of articles to books on Migration History, Maritime History and Ottoman History.
- Author(s)Onur Yildirim
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/11/2006
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleMiddle East Studies: History, Politics and Law
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white tables
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.