All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers a juristic exposition and analysis of diplomatic protection as an institution of public international law. Diplomatic protection is primarily exercised by States towards their nationals, and exceptionally non-nationals, against violations of international law by other States, and is one of the oldest traditions of international law. The book starts with a history of the subject, and charts the development of diplomatic protection conceived as an institution of international law. It goes on to discuss the violations of international law which can trigger diplomatic protection, arrangements which are excluded from this type of protection, conflicts of interests underlying the principle and how these can be resolved, and the influence of human rights on the area. Subsequent chapters look at attempts to codify the law of diplomatic protection, and offer a critical examination of this in the light of modern policy considerations, and the recent work of the Int Law Commission. The book concludes with an assessment of recent changes in the law and the importance of these from the point of view of the individual.
- Author BiographyDr Amerasinghe started his professional career in academia at Cambridge University, Trinity Hall and then at the University of Ceylon where he latterly held a full Professorship of law. Later he joined the World Bank as an international lawyer and ended his 26yr career there as Registrar of the World Bank Tribunal. He was a judge at the UN Tribunal in New York from 1998-2000 and of the Commonwealth Secretarial Tribunal from 1999-2002. He was made an Honorary Professor of Law by the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and has been an adjunct Professor of International law at the American University, Washington. He has also been a member of the Institute de Droit International since 1998.
- Author(s)Chittharanjan Felix Amerasinghe
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication07/02/2008
- SubjectInternational Law: Professional
- Series TitleOxford Monographs in International Law
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight694 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $41.79Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.42Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $17.82Trending at AU $26.00
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.