Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionThe increased use of direct democracy measures across the United States has brought attention to the individual petitioner however their motivations and goals continue to be an enigma. Drawing on behavioral, historical and legal analysis to provide a more concrete depiction of these individuals, expert contributors examine the true personalities, motivations and expectations, successes and failures of petitioners in the direct democracy process and how they culminate in policy formation across the United States. Six typologies; the zealot, the victim, the amateur, the lawyer, the professional, and the politician are identified and later applied to four key policy areas, taxation, health, the environment and education. A lucid contribution to the existing literature on direct democracy and an excellent resource for studying how petitioners are able to influence their communities beyond the ballot box.
- Author BiographyShauna Reilly is an Assistant Professor in the Political Science and Criminal Justice Department at Northern Kentucky University. Her main areas of research in the areas of American Politics, Political Behavior, State Politics and Public Opinion focus mainly on direct democracy. She has a book on ballot language entitled Design, Meaning and Choice: Petitioners and Voters' Influence. Ryan M. Yonk is an Assistant Professor in Political Science and Criminal Justice at Southern Utah University. His research focuses primarily on Economics, Political Behavior, Environmental Issues and Alternative Energies. Some recent publications include Trading Places; Effects of voting systems on multi candidate elections and Bootleggers, Baptists and Political Entrepreneurs: Key Players in the Rational and Morality play of Regulatory Politics.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/05/2015
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note40 black & white tables, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight362 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byRyan M. Yonk,Shauna Reilly
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.