Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
About this product
- DescriptionBiological systems are very special substrates for engineering-uniquely the products of evolution, they are easily redesigned by similar approaches. A simple algorithm of iterative cycles of diversification and selection, evolution works at all scales, from single molecules to whole ecosystems. In the little more than a decade since the first reported applications of evolutionary design to enzyme engineering, directed evolution has matured to the point where it w represents the centerpiece of industrial biocatalyst development and is being practiced by thousands of academic and industrial scientists in com- nies and universities around the world. The appeal of directed evolution is easy to understand: it is conceptually straightforward, it can be practiced without any special instrumentation and, most important, it frequently yields useful solutions, many of which are totally unanticipated. Directed evolution has r- dered protein engineering readily accessible to a broad audience of scientists and engineers who wish to tailor a myriad of protein properties, including th- mal and solvent stability, enzyme selectivity, specific activity, protease s- ceptibility, allosteric control of protein function, ligand binding, transcriptional activation, and solubility. Furthermore, the range of applications has expanded to the engineering of more complex functions such as those performed by m- tiple proteins acting in concert (in biosynthetic pathways) or as part of mac- molecular complexes and biological networks.
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication25/04/2003
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleMethods in Molecular Biology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 231
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight538 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byFrances Arnold,George Georgiou
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.