Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis is t your typical guide to English! Stand back frightened administrators and shy teachers-Dirty Words will guide foreign language students through the dangerous territory of everyday English profanity. In Dirty Words you get all the English vocabulary that you can't learn from textbooks-the rude and the crude, the American language of anger and frustration. It's all explained here, clearly and with examples and humor. The book is divided into eight chapters covering such topics as anatomy, expletives, insults, and humor. The Accidental English chapter is devoted to words with multiple meanings; often these are common, otherwise harmless words that have additional layers of profane or obscene meaning. ESL students will benefit greatly from an understanding of these words. Ather chapter defines various ethnic, racial, and homosexual slurs, as well as words associated with the bathroom. The glossary contains most of the terms discussed in the book. The final chapter contains exercises that test the comprehension of the dirty words and phrases explained in the text; the answers to these exercises can be found in an appendix. Dirty jokes are scattered throughout the text. Some readers may find them funny, some may t, but they provide a vehicle for instruction that is t only engaging for the student but contextually appropriate, as humor is one of the most frequent sources and uses of profanity. Many of these jokes depend on the comprehension of multiple meanings of a word. Each joke is accompanied by an explanation and a list of relevant vocabulary words.
- Author BiographyJack Lieberman has a master's degree from Harvard and a certificate in teaching English as a Second Language from the University of California at Berkeley extension. After being fired from his ESL teaching position at Tamalpais Adult School for explaining a few dirty words, he decided to write this book. He now teaches ESL privately and lives in Marin County, California. Jack also volunteers as a math instructor at San Quentin prison. His not-so-secret desire is to someday do standup comedy.
- Author(s)Jack Lieberman,MR Jack Lieberman
- PublisherFree Speech Publishing
- Date of Publication28/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLanguage Learning: Self Study
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFree Speech Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Illustrator(s)MR Justin DeFreitas
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.