All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionDisability Studies and Spanish Culture is the first book to apply the tenets of Disability Studies to the Spanish context. In particular, this work is an important corrective to existing cultural studies of disability in Spain that tend to largely igre intellectual disabilities. Taking on the representation of Down syndrome, autism, alexia/agsia as well as childhood disability, its chapters combine close readings of a number of Spanish cultural products (films, vels, the comic/graphic vel and the public exhibition) with a broader socio-cultural take on the state of disability in Spain. Fraser is just as comfortable with the work of disability theorists who advocate a social model of disability (such as Lennard J. Davis, Licia Carlson, Eva Feder Kittay, David T. Mitchell, Sharon L. Snyder and more) as he is with the analysis of film and literature in the Spanish context. While researchers and students of cinema will be particularly interested in the book's detailed analyses of the formal aspects of the films, comics, and vels discussed, readers from backgrounds in history, political science and sociology will all be able to appreciate discussions of contemporary legislation, advocacy groups, cultural perceptions, models of social integration and more. The book is directed, also, toward those readers more familiar with the growing field of Disability Studies itself-making the argument that the specific case of Spanish culture and society speaks to shifts in the social attitudes and theoretical understandings of disability more broadly considered.
- Author BiographyDr Benjamin Fraser is Assistant Professor of Spanish Film and Cultural Studies at the College of Charleston (USA).
- Author(s)Benjamin Fraser
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication18/03/2013
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleRepresentations: Health, Disability, Culture and Society
- Series Part/Volume Numberv.6
- Place of PublicationLiverpool
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLiverpool University Press
- Weight522 g
- Width163 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.