All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this moving and intelligent book John Gillibrand, an Anglican priest, draws on his experience of caring for his n-verbal son, Adam, who has autism and is w a teenager. He reflects on how the experience has changed t just his life, but also his whole way of thinking about theology, politics and philosophy. Illuminated by an account of his day to day experiences with Adam, and deeper reflection upon the meaning of that experience, John Gillibrand considers the challenges that autism - and disability in general - present to the western tradition of thought in theology and philosophy. His experiences lead him to consider the place of people with autism in relation to religion and philosophy, and how the difficulties in providing adequate public services for those with autism and their carers point to a need for radical transformation of western political structures. This thoughtful and incisive book will be of interest to theologians, philosophers and sociologists, as well as to all those trying to integrate people with autism into society. Parents and carers will find much to reflect on. Shortlisted for the Michael Ramsey Prize for theological writing 2013.
- Author BiographyJohn Gillibrand, PhD, is an Anglican priest working in the Diocese of St. David's in West Wales. He has degrees in Theology and History from Oxford University, UK. His doctoral studies at the University of Wales, Bangor, UK, were on the applicability of the thought of Michel Foucault to Christian theology. He lives in Carmarthenshire, Wales.
- Author(s)John Gillibrand
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/01/2010
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight308 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byDr. Rowan Williams
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.