All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAl-Qadi al-Nu'man was the chief legal theorist and ideologue of the North African Fatimid dynasty in the tenth century. This translation makes available in English for the first time his major work on Islamic legal theory, which presents a legal model in support of the Fatimids' principle of legitimate rule over the Islamic community. Composed as part of a grand project to establish the theoretical bases of the official Fatimid legal school, Disagreements of the Jurists expounds a distinctly Shi'i system of hermeneutics, which refutes the methods of legal interpretation adopted by Sunni jurists. The work begins with a discussion of the historical causes of jurisprudential divergence in the first Islamic centuries, and goes on to address, point by point, the specific interpretive methods of Sunni legal theory, arguing that they are both illegitimate and ineffective. While its immediate mission is to pave the foundation of the legal Isma'ili tradition, the text also preserves several Islamic legal theoretical works longer extant-including Ibn Dawud's manual, al-Wusul ila ma'rifat al-usul-and thus throws light on a critical stage in the historical development of Islamic legal theory (usul al-fiqh) that would otherwise be lost to history.
- Author BiographyAl-Qadi al-Nu'man (d. 364 H/974 AD) was born in Tunisia and joined the service of the Fatimids in 313 H/925 AD, eventually rising to the position of supreme judge. As the most important jurist and legal author of the Fatimid Empire, his work founded Isma'ili law as a discipline. Devin J. Stewart is Associate Professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies at Emory University. He has written on the Quran, Shii Islam, and Islamic legal education.
- Author(s)Al-Qadi Al-Nu'Man
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication12/01/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleLibrary of Arabic Literature
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight726 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.36Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.