All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe new edition of this AJN Book of the Year continues to provide nurses with the most comprehensive, current, and reliable information available so they can develop the skills to efficiently and effectively respond to disasters or public health emergencies. Meticulously researched and reviewed by the world's foremost experts in preparedness for terrorism, natural disasters, and other unanticipated health emergencies, the text has been revised and updated with significant new content, including 10 new chapters and a digital adjunct teacher's guide with exercises and critical thinking questions. This new edition has strengthened its pediatric focus with updated and expanded chapters on caring for children's physical, mental, and behavioural health following a disaster. New chapters address climate change, global complex human emergencies, caring for patients with HIV/AIDS following a disaster, information techlogy and disaster response, and hospital and emergency department preparedness. The text provides a vast amount of evidence-based information on disaster planning and response for natural and environmental disasters and those caused by chemical, biological, and radiological elements, as well as disaster recovery. It also addresses leadership, management, and policy issues in disaster nursing and deepens our understanding of the importance of protecting mental health throughout the disaster life cycle. Each chapter is clearly formatted and includes Key Messages and Learning Objectives. Appendices present diagsis and treatment regimens, creating personal disaster plans, a damage assessment guide, a glossary of terms, and more. Consistent with the Federal Disaster Response Framework, the book promotes competency-based expert nursing care during disasters and positive health outcomes for small and large populations.
- Author BiographyTener Goodwin Veenema, PhD, MPH. MS, CPNP, FAAN, is Founder and President of TENER Consulting Group, LLC. A nationally recognized expert in disaster preparedness and emergency management, Veenema is a frequent speaker, author, and consultant to health care and human service organizations nationwide. Specializing in workforce development, she provides strategic guidance, technical expertise and consulting services related to work redesign in disaster preparedness and emergency medical services, and emerging clinical decision support analyses. She is the editor of Springer's AJN Book of the Year, Disaster Nursing and Emergency Preparedness, 2nd Edition, and has served as senior consultant to the American Red Cross,, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the VA, Department of Health and Human Services, and the National Commission on Children & Disasters. Dr. Veenema's work has prepared thousands of nurses for disaster response. Dr. Veenema is a nationally Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and was recognized as a distinguished practitioner by her election into the National Academies of Practice in 2004. She was selected as a Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nurse Fellow (2004-2007) and a Senior Fellow in Nursing Policy & Philanthropy at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and at the Center for State Health Policy, Rutgers University (2008-2009). She has served on the editorial board for the AMA sponsored Journal of Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, and was inducted as a fellow in the American Academy of Nursing. In April 2010 Dr. Veenema was honored with the Distinguished Leadership Award from her alma mater, Suffield Academy.
- PublisherSpringer Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/07/2012
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer Publishing Co Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight1814 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited byTener Goodwin Veenema
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.67Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.