All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRichard Sylves provides needed context and contemporary coverage of the disaster management and homeland security field. Paying special attention to the role of key actors-decision makers at the federal, state and local levels, scientists, engineers, civil and military personnel, officials and first responders-the author explores how social science research can be usefully applied to policy development and every day practice. The book's all-hazards comprehensive approach introduces students to the importance of public policy analysis, organizational management, and leadership issues they will need a command of as future practitioners and leaders in the field. New to the Edition: *A new chapter on 9/11 Victim's Compensation Fund sheds light on contemporary recovery assistance: are the new protocols for recovery effective? What lessons can be learned from recent disaster relief assistance efforts? *New coverage of public management theory, complexity and network theories, and emerging approaches to disaster recovery. *A look at how policy and practice at all levels are adapting to emerging threats like cyber terrorism and the increased capacity of civil authorities to respond. *Updates tie recent international and domestic events to approaches to disaster management, from the Fukushima nuclear disaster to the Boston Marathon bombings to the tornadoes that destroyed Moore, OK.
- Author BiographyRichard Sylves is professor of political science at the University of Delaware. He has served on a National Academy of Science, National Research Council panel, and he has done funded and unfunded research for FEMA. He served three years as an appointed member of the National Academy of Science Disaster Roundtable. His books include The Nuclear Oracles; Disaster Management in the United States and Canada: Politics, Policy, Administration, Study and Instruction of Emergency Management; Cities and Disaster: North American Studies in Emergency Management (with William Waugh); and Homeland Security and Emergency Management: A Public Budgeting Perspective.
- Author(s)Richard T. Sylves
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication16/09/2014
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width190 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.21Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.