All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionCuriosity is the desire to kw or learn, inquisitiveness about trifles or other people's affairs, a curious matter or investigation, a vanity, a curious detail or feature. This book will introduce readers to a London so full of curiosities of all those definitions that they will in future 'watch where they go'. There must be many items that are passed every day without a second glance that would interest both the visitor and the Londoner - 'if I had kwn it was there and what it was'. For example, the statue of Charles I at Charing Cross and Aldgate Pump have history to tell, and they are only two of the hundreds of curiosities in London. After Charles' execution his statue was bought by a blacksmith and melted down - or was it? The water from the pump tasted different, so where did it come from originally? The chapters are arranged so that they make up interesting walks for exploring certain parts of London.
- Author BiographyJohn Wittich has lectured on London and architecture for a number of years. A guide-lecturer of the London Tourist Board, he is a Member of the Institute of Tourist Guiding, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a Life Member of the Royal Photographic Soicety, a Freeman of the City of London, Liveryman Emeritus of the Worshipful Companyof Woolmen, Past Master of the Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks, and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Musicians. He is the author of Discovering London Street Names and Discovering Off-Beat Walks in London.
- Author(s)John Wittich
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication10/07/2009
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Series TitleShire Discovering
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 165
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width113 mm
- Height177 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.