All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA healthy work-life balance has become increasingly important to people trying to cope with the pressures of contemporary society. This trend highlights the fallacy of assessing well-being in terms of finance alone; how much time we have matters just as much as how much money. The authors of this book have developed a vel way to measure 'discretionary time': time which is free to spend as one pleases. Exploring data from the US, Australia, Germany, France, Sweden and Finland, they show that temporal automy varies substantially across different countries and under different living conditions. By calibrating how much control people have over their time, and how much they could have under alternative welfare, gender or household arrangements, this book offers a new perspective for comparative cross-national enquiries into the temporal aspects of human welfare.
- Author BiographyRobert E. Goodin is Distinguished Professor of Philosophy and Social & Political Theory in the Research School of Social Sciences at Australian National University. James Mahmud Rice is an ARC Research Associate in the Research School of Social Sciences at Australian National University. Antti Parpo is Administrator of Somero Social & Health Services, Finland. Lina Eriksson is an ARC Research Associate in the Research School of Social Sciences at Australian National University.
- PrizesWinner of Stein Rokkan Prize for Comparative Social Science Research 2009.
- Author(s)Antti Parpo,James Mahmud Rice,Lina Eriksson,Robert E. Goodin
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/02/2008
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note41 b/w illus. 41 tables
- Weight898 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.