All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionOn October 5, 2012, the German national newspaper <i>Die Welt</i> published its daily issue--but things looked . . . different. Quieter. The sensations of the day, forgotten as soon as they're read, were missing, replaced with an unprecedented calm, extracted with care from the chaos of the contemporary. That calm was the work of Gerhard Richter, who had been granted control over <i>Die Welt</i> for that single day, taking over and imprinting all thirty pages of the newspaper with his personal stamp: images from quiet moments amid unquiet times, the demotion of politics from its primary position, the privileging of the private and personal over the public, and, above all, artful, moving contrasts between sharpness and softness. He had created an unprecedented work of mass art. Among the many people to praise the work was writer Alexander Kluge, who instantly began writing stories to accompany Richter's images. This book, the second collaboration between Kluge and Richter, brings their stories and images together, along with new words and artworks created specifically for this volume. The result, <i>Dispatches from Moments of Calm</i>, is a beautiful, meditative interval in the otherwise unremitting press of everyday life, a masterpiece by two acclaimed artists working at the height of their powers.
- Author Biography<b>Alexander Kluge</b> is an author and filmmaker whose books include <i>The Devil's Blind Spot</i>, <i>Cinema Stories</i>, <i>Air Raid</i>, and<i> 30 April 1945</i>, the last two published by Seagull Books. <b>Gerhard Richter</b> is perhaps the leading visual artist in the world and, with Kluge, coauthor of <i>December</i>, also published by Seagull Books. <b>Nathaniel McBride</b> is a writer and translator who lives in London.
- Author(s)Alexander Kluge,Gerhard Richter
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication24/05/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleSB-The German List
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight481 g
- Width140 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byNathaniel McBride
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.