All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.42Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionThis textbook gives an introduction to distribution theory with emphasis on applications using functional analysis. In more advanced parts of the book, pseudodi?erential methods are introduced. Distributiontheoryhasbeen developedprimarilytodealwithpartial(and ordinary) di?erential equations in general situations. Functional analysis in, say, Hilbert spaces has powerful tools to establish operators with good m- ping properties and invertibility properties. A combination of the two allows showing solvability of suitable concrete partial di?erential equations (PDE). When partial di?erential operators are realized as operators in L (?) for 2 n apensubset?ofR ,theycomeoutasunboundedoperators.Basiccourses infunctionalanalysisareoftenlimitedtothestudyofboundedoperators,but we here meet the necessityof treating suitable types ofunbounded operators; primarily those that are densely de?ned and closed. Moreover, the emphasis in functional analysis is often placed on selfadjoint or rmal operators, for which beautiful results can be obtained by means of spectral theory, but the cases of interest in PDE include many nselfadjoint operators, where diagonalizationbyspectraltheoryistveryuseful.Weincludeinthisbooka chapter on unbounded operatorsin Hilbert space (Chapter 12),where classes of convenient operators are set up, in particular the variational operators, including selfadjoint semibounded cases (e.g., the Friedrichs extension of a symmetric operator), but with a much wider scope. Whereas the functional analysis de?nition of the operators is relatively clean and simple, the interpretation to PDE is more messy and complicated.
- Author(s)Gerd Grubb
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication14/10/2008
- Series TitleGraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 252
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight846 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.