All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an invative investigation of pluralism in health care. Using both extensive archival material and oral histories it examines relationships between indigeus healing, missionary medicine, and western biomedicine. The book includes the different regions within South Africa although focusing in most detail on the Cape, the earliest area of white settlement. In a wide-ranging survey the division in medicine between western and indigeus medicine is analysed through an exploration of the evolving practices of healers, missionaries, doctors and nurses. The book considers the extent to which there was a strategic crossing of boundaries in the construction of hybrid practices by these practitioners, and the extent to which patients pursued health by sampling diverse care options. Starting with missionary penetration during the early nineteenth century, the volume outlines interventions by the colonial state in medicine and public health, and the continued resilience of indigeus healing in the face of this. The book ends by relating past to present in scrutinising the legacy of historical structures including those of the apartheid state for current health care, and in briefly discussing the huge challenges that the HIV/Aids pandemic poses in impacting on them. The book thus provides an inclusive history of medicine for the New South Africa.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Anne Digby is Research Professor in History at Oxford Brookes University. Currently she is collaborating with colleagues from the University of Cape Town in researching the history of Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, where the world s first heart transplant took place.
- Author(s)Anne Digby
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/06/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in the History of Medicine
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note14 illustrations, 21 tables
- Weight710 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.