All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis reader demands that we understand diversity and multiculturalism by identifying the ways in which curriculum has been written and taught, and by redefining the field with an equitable lens, freeing it from the dominant cultural curriculum. The book problematizes the issue of whiteness, for instance, as not being the opposite of blackness or person-of-colorness, but rather a meta-description for our dominant culture. Issues are also addressed that are usually left out of the discussion about diversity and multiculturalism: this reader includes essays on physical diversity, geographic diversity, and difference in sexualities. This is the quintessential collection of work by critical scholars committed to redefining the conversation on multiculturalism and diversity.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Shirley R. Steinberg teaches in the Department of Integrated Studies at McGill University. She is the Director of the Paulo and Nita Freire International Project for Critical Pedagogy. The founding editor of Taboo: The Journal of Culture and Education, Steinberg's most recent book is Media Literacy: A Reader, edited with Donaldo Macedo. She has recently finished editing Teen Life in Europe and, with Priya Parmar and Birgit Richard, The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Youth Culture, a Library Reference Award Winner. She is the editor of Multi/Intercultural Conversations: A Reader. With Joe L. Kincheloe she has edited Kinderculture: The Corporate Construction of Childhood and The Miseducation of the West: How Schools and the Media Distort Our Understanding of the Islamic World. She is co-author of Changing Multiculturalism: New Times, New Curriculum, and Contextualizing Teaching.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/2009
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2009
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight930 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byShirley R. Steinberg
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.