All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.68Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- DescriptionFrom bans on religious symbols in public spaces, to the provision of abortion by doctors, recent cases across Europe have highlighted acute dilemmas about how best to respond to the claims of individuals or groups feeling that their values or beliefs are t treated fairly by the law. Diversity in Europe uses the resources of political theory alongside comparative analysis of contemporary practices in different countries (Germany, Italy, Turkey, Spain and the UK) to explore the challenges diversity poses for European democracies. Crucial throughout is whether the democratic commitment to equality entails uniformity in the law, or is compatible with saying 'yes' to some requests from citizens that they be treated differently, to accommodate their ethical, cultural and religious particularity. Such differential treatment may take several forms, e.g. group or individual rights, either to legal exemptions or to conscientious objection. Exploring these from various angles, the book gives a sense of the tools democracies need to address the challenges of diversity more generally. Making an important contribution to our understanding of the political implications of ethical, cultural and religious diversity, this book will be of interest to students and scholars of political and social philosophy, European studies, political science, social policy, applied ethics, law, and socio-legal studies.
- Author BiographyDr Gideon Calder is Reader in Ethics and Social Philosophy at the University of Wales, Newport. Dr Emanuela Ceva is Senior Research Associate at the Institute for Advanced Study, Pavia and Lecturer in Political Philosophy at the University of Pavia, Italy.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/09/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight294 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byEmanuela Ceva,Gideon Calder
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.