All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDivision Street , Studs Terkel's first book of oral history, established his reputation as America's foremost oral historian and as one of those rare thinkers who is actually willing to go out and talk to the incredible people of this country, in the words of Tom Wolfe. Viewing the inhabitants of a single city, Chicago, as a microcosm of the nation at large, Division Street chronicles the thoughts and feelings of some seventy people from widely varying backgrounds in terms of class, race and personal history. From a mother and son who migrated from Appalachia to a Native American boilerman, from a streetwise ex-gang leader to a liberal police officer, from the poorest African-Americans to the richest socialites, these unique and often intimate first-person accounts form a multi-faceted collage that defies any simple stereotype of America. As Terkel himself put it: I was on the prowl for a cross-section of the urban thought, using one method or technique...I guess I was seeking some balance in the wildlife of the city as Rachel Carson sought it in nature. Revealing aspects of people's lives that are rmally invisible to most of us, Division Street is a fascinating survey of a city, and a society, at a pivotal moment of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyStuds Terkel is the author of twelve books of oral history, including Working, and Race. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and a member of the Academy of Arts and Letters, he was awarded the National Book Critics Circle Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003. Alex Kotlowitz is the award-winning author of There Are No Children Here, among other books.
- Author(s)Studs Terkel
- PublisherThe New Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1993
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New Press
- Content Noteblack-&-white illustrations throughout
- Weight473 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.