All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionThe silvery clip of scissors. The scent of talcum and tonic. The game blaring on the radio. The lazy rhythms of friendly conversation. In <i>Do Bald Men Get Half-Price Haircuts?</i> Vince Staten perfectly captures the atmosphere of the classic barbershop and the special place it holds in the hearts of American men. Staten visited more than three hundred barbershops, in towns ranging from Chowchilla, California, to Mount Airy, North Carolina. Displaying a great ear for dialogue, he re-creates the banter in a family-run Italian shop in Louisville, the relaxed jokes shared at an African-American barber's in a quiet neighborhood in Nashville, and the familiar conversations about local politics, the new baseball coach, and the meaning of life that make it clear why the barbershop is the communications hub of so many communities. In a wonderfully entertaining exploration of the history, secrets, and social contributions of barbershop culture, he provides answers to such pressing questions as: What's in those hair tonics anyway? Why are the stripes on the barber pole red and white? Why t a barbershop trio? As in his earlier fascinating tours through the hardware store and the phar-macy, Staten combines a highly original sense of humor with a keen eye for telling detail. With <i>Do Bald Men Get Half-Price Haircuts?</i> he treats readers to an unusual, warmly stalgic, and often hilarious tour of an enduring corner of American popular culture.
- Author Biography<b>Vince Staten</b> is the author of nine previous books, including <i>Did Monkeys Invent the Monkey Wrench?</i> and <i>Can You Trust a Tomato in January?</i> He teaches feature writing at the University of Louisville and lives in Prospect, Kentucky.
- Author(s)STATEN VINCE
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication06/06/2002
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.