All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow much do we really kw about the species that make up the natural world? In this fascinating book Ken Thompson explains what we do and don't understand about biodiversity. We kw that most species remain undiscovered, and that biodiversity is gravely threatened - by overfishing, habitat loss, pollution and climate change. Life on Earth has previously experienced five episodes of mass extinction, and we are w in the middle of a sixth. Do We Need Pandas? surveys the Earth's biodiversity, its origins and some of the threats it currently faces. It then asks how biodiversity loss will affect the human race. Will we even tice, and if we do, what will we tice? It asks what we should be doing to secure the survival t only of the species with which we share the planet, but of ourselves - and whether we need to be more concerned about ecosystems as a whole than about iconic species.
- Author BiographyDr Ken Thompson recently retired as Senior Research Fellow and Honorary Senior Lecturer of the Department of Animal and Plant Sciences at the University of Sheffield. He is the author of several books, including The Book of Weeds, An Ear to the Ground: Understanding your garden and No Nettles Required: The reassuring truth about wildlife gardening, and co-author of The Ecology of Seeds.
- Author(s)Ken Thompson
- PublisherGreen Books
- Date of Publication31/08/2010
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationTotnes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGreen Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.68Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.