All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionHayden Carruth is a major literary figure and survey of American poetry is complete without inclusion of his work.In this newest book of poems--the first since his 1996 National Book Award--Carruth confronts the threadbare memories of old age and the fading winter view. From the bleakest circumstances--the death of his daughter, physical and mental pain, poverty--Carruth defiantly reclaims dignity and beauty. His poetry is at once classical and modern. With the spit and bop of a great jazzman playing all the right tes, Carruth lives his music, finding the perfect low tones of terrible loss, the highs of family and friendship. Yet he is also the wise old sage of classical Greece, warning, riddling, giving generous counsel and insight. At Seventy-Five: Rereading an Old Book My prayers have been answered, if they were prayers. I live. I'm alive, and even in rather good health, I believe. If I'd quit smoking I might live to be a hundred. Truly this is astonishing, after the poverty and pain, The suffering. Who would have thought that petty Endurance could achieve so much? And prayers-- Were they prayers? Always I was adamant In my irreligion, and had good reason to be. Yet prayer is t, I see in old age w, A matter of doctrine or discipline, but rather A movement of the natural human mind Bereft of its place among the animals, the other Animals. I prayed. Then on paper I wrote Some of the words I said, which are these poems.Hayden Carruth has won nearly every major award in poetry, including the National Book Award and the National Book Critic's circle Award. He is the author of 24 previous books of poetry and prose. He lives in Munnsville, NY.
- Author BiographyHayden Carruth is the author of twenty-five books of poetry, a novel, four books of criticism, and two anthologies, and has held fellowships from the Bollingen, Guggenheim and Lannan foundations, as well as the NEA. His many awards include the National Book Award for Poetry, the National Book Critics Circle Award, and the Lenore Marshall/The Nation Award.
- Author(s)Hayden Carruth
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2001
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Weight363 g
- Width143 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.