All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaleobiologist Anthony D. Barsky weaves together evidence from the deep past and the present to alert us to the looming Sixth Mass Extinction and to offer a practical, hopeful plan for avoiding it. Writing from the front lines of extinction research, Barsky tells the overarching story of geologic and evolutionary history and how it informs the way humans inhabit, exploit, and impact Earth today. He presents compelling evidence that unless we rethink how we generate the power we use to run our global ecosystem, where we get our food, and how we make our money, we will trigger what would be the sixth great extinction on Earth, with dire consequences. Optimistic that we can change this omius forecast if we act w, Barsky provides clear-cut strategies to guide the planet away from global catastrophe. In many instances the necessary techlogy and kw-how already exist and are being applied to crucial issues around human-caused climate change, feeding the world's growing population, and exploiting natural resources. Deeply informed yet accessibly written, Dodging Extinction is thing short of a guidebook for saving the planet.
- Author BiographyAnthony D. Barnosky is a Professor in the Department of Integrative Biology, Curator in the Museum of Paleontology, and Research Paleoecologist in the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of Heatstroke: Nature in an Age of Global Warming (Island Press) and coauthor (with Elizabeth Hadly) of Tipping Point for Planet Earth: How Close Are We To The Edge? (Thomas Dunne / St. Martin's Press).
- Author(s)Anthony D. Barnosky
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note1 b/w image
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.