Dog Is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship by Bark (Paperback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.82Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $9.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDogs have been our muses, our mentors, and our playful and ble co-pilots. They ve had a profound influence on us as healers and spiritual guides, and also as co-workers, helping to guide, hunt, herd, search, and rescue. Our bond with dogs is deep and unbreakable, and there s better source a reader can turn to for a richer understanding of that complex and wonderful relationship than <i>The Bark</i>. <i>The Bark</i> began as a newsletter in Berkeley, California, that advocated for an off-leash area where dogs could cavort and play. Within a few years it had become a full-fledged, award-winning glossy magazine that published work by some of the best writers in America today. And as it grew, the magazine embraced a much larger canvas: to cover the emerging phemen of dog culture that has been developing over the past decade, as dogs have moved out of the backyard and into our homes, communities, and, indeed, the very center of our lives. As editor Claudia Kawczynska writes, The implications of integrating ather species into society s daily fabric go well beyond how we nurture our dogs. It calls for a revamping of the standard etiquette respecting the concerns and interests of society at large. This new relationship, along with an appreciation for our rich and unbounded future, comprises what we call dog culture. This is what <i>The Bark</i> set out to chronicle. <b>Dog Is My Co-Pilot </b>is an anthology of essays, short stories, and expert commentaries that explores every aspect of our life with dogs. Fifty percent of the material here has never been published before. The book is divided into four sections: Beginnings explores that first meeting, the initial murmurings when a dog-human relationship is formed. Pack investigates the theme of togetherness and pays tribute to the dynamic of multiple personalities in the canine-human relationship. Lessons examines what dogs teach us, from love to enlightenment. The final section, Passages, reflects on the themes of true friendship, transformation, and loss. Included are pieces by Lynda Barry, Rick Bass, Maeve Brennan, Margaret Cho, Carolyn Chute, Alice Elliott Dark, Lama Surya Das, Pam Houston, Erica Jong, Tom Jud, Caroline Knapp, Donald McCaig, Nasdijj, Ann Patchett, Michael Paterniti, Charles Siebert, Alexandra Styron, Elizabeth Marshall Thomas, and Alice Walker. In selections that are humorous, poignant, truthful, sometimes surprising, and frequently uplifting, <b>Dog Is My Co-Pilot</b> embraces the full experience of the world s oldest friendship. For people who love great writing and, yes, great dogs, it s a book to be both shared and treasured.
- Author BiographyClaudia Kawczynska is editor in chief and Cameron Woo is the creative director of <i>The Bark</i>, which they cofounded in 1997. Recognized as one of the Most Notable Magazine Launches of 1999, <i>The Bark</i> has garnered numerous honors, including a Folio Gold Award and Best Alternative Press Award. <i>The Bark </i>is published out of Berkeley, California, where the editors live with their dogs Nellie, Callie, and Lenny, and cats Sammy, Hoagy, Bailey, Maggie, and Big Mama. Visit <i>The Bark</i> at www.thebark.com.
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication26/10/2004
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThree Rivers Press
- Out-of-print date23/11/2015
- Weight226 g
- Width132 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.41Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.