All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Chaucer to Billy Collins and from basset hounds to brindle bull terriers, Doggerel presents a robust brood of the most charming verse tributes ever offered to our beloved canine companions. The rich and assorted cadences of some of the most distinguished poets across the centuries ring out from these pages from Spenser, Shakespeare, and Pope to Merrill, Merwin, and Muldoon celebrating pooches of every pedigree and persuasion. Here is Margaret Cavendish s barking chorus of beagles on the hunt; Elizabeth Bishop s Pink Dog alongside Robyn Selman s My Dog is Named for Elizabeth Bishop; Charles Baxter s villanelle Dog Kibble, whose dog-narrator decides that Life isn t meaningless because there s food; and the desultory charms of Jane Kenyon s unleashed dog, nuzzling about on a drizzly afteron. From lazy dogs curled up by the fireplace to audacious hounds howling at the moon, from mutts to purebreds, puppies to old dogs, Doggerel is an irresistible gathering of fast and faithful friends.
- Author BiographyCarmela Ciuraru is the editor of the anthology First Loves: Poets Introduce the Essential Poems That Captivated and Inspired Them, and the former editor of the Journal of the Poetry Society of America. A graduate of Columbia University's School of Journalism, she lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Carmela Ciuraru
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication07/11/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House USA Inc
- Weight227 g
- Width118 mm
- Height166 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.