All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.50
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.93
About this product
- DescriptionA SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR ALIENS IN PARADISE Assisted by gorgeous Inday, Gormless Gordon and Alan, the Awkward Alien; the author, familiar with the Philippines for more than fifteen years, takes a wry look at some of its customs and cultural peculiarities. English (or a form of it) is written and spoken everywhere; there's a Macdonald's on almost every corner and Filipis are often entranced by a Western lifestyle. But don't be fooled: this isn't the West, it's Asia: a melting pot of influences from Malaysia, China and, of course, the Spanish occupation of these islands for 300 years. With his customary wit and vulgarity, the author offers an invaluable handbook for all those aliens who propose an extended visit or residency: it's t a how to guide on visas and a million other regulations, but an A-Z run-down of the cultural niceties and expectations that could save the new arrival from making a fool of himself or pissing off the neighbours. Absolutely priceless: very useful and I couldn't stop laughing.
- Author BiographyKeith Warren was born in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex (UK), the son of an analytical chemist who went on to work in nuclear fission, and a biologist who liked cats. Whether or not this may have resulted in a dysfunctional family, readers of his books will have to decide! He trained as an English teacher in the late 60's and early 70's when Margaret Thatcher was Secretary of State for Education and she had commenced chalking the writing on the board. As a bumptious twenty-something, he once had the opportunity to put a question to her on an Eamonn Andrews TV show. She swatted him away like an irksome fly. He's been traumatised about it ever since. He taught English in several schools in Essex and the West Country before nose-diving out of a promising career in his 40's: the classic, hormonal, mid-life crisis. Keep reading! Suddenly, he found himself working in an Estate Agent's ultimately running his own business in the charming little village of Cheddar in Somerset. Too many marriages down the line, he met Her Loveliness and he now lives in the Philippines where he writes, tries to grow pineapples and complains vociferously about the local beer.
- Author(s)Keith Warren
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication26/03/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Photographer(s)Jim Mountford
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.