Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionGeorge: You kw what the three most exciting sounds in the world are? Uncle Billy: Uh-huh, Breakfast is served, lunch is served, dinner... George: No, , , ! Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles... Doing It For George is the hilarious account of a round-the-world trip of a lifetime that takes the reader to the heart of the Hollywood classic, It's A Wonderful Life, starring James Stewart as George Bailey. Author, Bob Maddams, grew up loving the movie. So when he hit his own George Bailey style mid-life crisis, he decided to do what George never got the chance to - and go see the world. There I was, he says, a mature and experienced man in the prime of his life, what could possible go wrong? Doing It For George is the kckabout story of everything that did. Bob's oddball odyssey began in India and took in Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia before he hit the west coast of the USA and decided to Go east young man. Highlights included travelling on overnight trains across rthern India, being the oldest backpacker in town on Bangkok's torious Khoa San Road, going in search of Suzy Wong in Hong Kong, getting picked up by a looney-tune in a karaoke bar in LA, paddling down the Mississippi in a cae with a modern day Huckleberry Finn, and being turned over by a glamorous hooker in Times Square. George is seldom from our intrepid traveller's thoughts as he pinballs around the globe from one comic crisis to ather. Finally, in New York State he ends up in the town the locals claim to be the inspiration for Bedford Falls in the film. Here he meets Karolyn Grimes, the child actress who played George's youngest daughter, Zuzu, when she was six years old, and goes in search of the truth behind the town's claim to be The Real Bedford Falls. Doing It For George is a hilarious account of a rollercoaster ride around the world, a loving tribute to a Hollywood classic, and the longest advertisement for the benefits of travel insurance ever written.
- Author BiographyBob Maddams is an award-winning copywriter, journalist and film-maker. Having spent some twenty years in the advertising industry in London writing TV commercials he ended up directing them. This led to a career in television and eventually ended up with Bob quitting London to go and teach in a back-street community film school in Ethiopia. Soho House it wasn't. Bob spent many years living and filming all over the country making documentaries and behaviour change drama films for international aid agencies. At the same time Bob also worked as a freelance travel journalist and has written for The Times, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph and Wanderlust magazine. Bob now lives in Brighton on the south coast of the UK and continues to travel, write and make films.
- Author(s)MR Bob Maddams
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.