All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe golden age of animation stretched from the early 1930s to the mid-1950s, with movie cartoons reaching an extraordinarily high level of artistry and technique--far higher than today's TV cartoons, for instance. Nearly 1000 cartoons were produced by the seven major animation studios in the U.S. between January 1, 1939, and September 30, 1945--the immediate pre-World War II period up to the cessation of hostilities. More than a quarter of the cartoons substantially refer to the war, and thereby are invaluable in helping to understand American attitudes and Hollywood's reflection of them. The meat of <i>Doing Their Bit</i> is a filmography with extremely detailed summaries of the 260 or so commercially produced, animated, war-related shorts, 1939-1945. There is also a good bit of overall commentary on these films as a group. Two chapters wrap up animated cartoons of World War I and the general political ter of animated talkies of the 1930s. This edition also includes a new chapter on the outrageous government-sponsored Pvt Snafus.
- Author BiographyFilm historian and media propaganda specialist <b>Michael S. Shull</b> currently teaches film history at George Washington University and teaches mass communications at Montgomery College (both in the Washington, D.C., area). He lives in Germantown, Maryland. <b>David E. Wilt</b> is a librarian at the University of Maryland in College Park. Together they authored <i>Hollywood War Films, 1937-1945</i> (1996). Wilt is also the author of <i>The Mexican Filmography</i> (2003).
- Author(s)David E. Wilt,Michael S. Shull
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication31/01/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotographs, filmographies, bibliography, index
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition Statement2nd New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.