All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $33.67
About this product
- DescriptionBlending social history with pioneering architecture and business analysis, Dolphin Square provides a detailed history of the London landmark and its antecedents. Dolphin Square was and is ordinary block of flats. Built on a massive scale to a high density in the mid-1930s, it was a pioneering example of concrete design, and when completed was the largest single residential building in Europe. The book begins with the antecedents of the seven-acre site, which was first occupied by the workshops of Thomas Cubitt, when he developed Pimlico and Belgravia. Conceived as a speculative housing project and later catering for MPs, peers and entertainers required to work in London, this book tells the story of the Dolphin Square project and also captures what it has been like to live in the square for figures including Ellen Wilkinson, Alistair Darling, William Hague, Mo Mowlam, Sir David Steel, Christine Keeler, Sid James, Barbara Windsor and Princess Anne.The book charts the square's changing ownership and eventual creation of the Dolphin Square Trust, which managed the flats on a n-profit-making basis for 40 years. Dolphin Square breaks new ground in providing a detailed examination of a major example of urban property speculation and management.
- Author BiographyTerry Gourvish is Director of the Business History Unit, London School of Economics & Political Science, and a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He was until recently Chairman of the Business Archives Council and President of the Association of Business Historians. He has undertaken several commissioned histories, for the British Railways Board, Brewers' Society, Cabinet Office, Department for Transport/Strategic Rail Authority, and a number of private sector companies.
- Author(s)Prof. Dr. Terry Gourvish
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content Note1 x 16pp mono plates
- Weight794 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.