All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDomesday Book is one of the most famous documents in English history - and arguably, in world history. Now available in one volume, here is the complete, authoritative translation from the original Latin of Domesday Book, together with an index of places and a glossary of terms used. Domesday was compiled in a matter of months in 1086, at the end of William the Conqueror's life. According to a first-hand account by Robert, Bishop of Hereford, those sent out by the king ' . . .made a survey of all England; of the lands in each of the countries; of the possessions of each of the magnates, their lands, their habitations, their men'. The detailed picture of the English landscape it offers has equal in any country, while it is valuable t only in the picture it allows local historians to construct of their area in the eleventh century but also as the foundation document of the national archives.
- Author BiographyThe Alecto translation of Domesday is the most authoritative available. The Editorial Board in charge of the translation comprises the most renowned Domesday scholars.
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2003
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2004
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight1404 g
- Width157 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine64 mm
- Introduction byGeoffrey Martin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.89
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $29.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.