All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionYoung adult readers as well as adults will be fascinated by this biography of Dorothy Day, the controversial and celebrated Catholic activist, who has been proposed for canization as a Saint of the Church. Dorothy Day embraced many causes: the poor, n-violent social change, the Civil Rights Movement, suffragism and pacifism. The co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement that began as a newspaper for Catholic social teaching and flowered into nation-wide communities of hospitality for the needy, the most influential lay Catholic in the history of American Catholicism who received the Laetare and Gandhi medals and was instrumental in Vatican Council II's adoption of a resolution that supported conscientious objectors and condemned indiscriminate destruction, was also a friend of communists, atheists, and socialists. She was also a single mother, divorcee, the recipient of an abortion who converted to Catholicism and baptized her daughter in the Church. She marched with Cesar Chavez, became a model to the Berrigans, received a visit from Mother Teresa and communion from Pope Paul VI, and lived in voluntary abject poverty. Her life could be thought of as one of contradictions, were it t for the very important observation that hers was a life spent in conscious imitation of the Gospel, but t along the straight and narrow, as Elaine Murray Stone so convincingly shows.
- Author BiographyElaine Murray Stone is the award-winning author of nineteen books for adults and children, including Brevard County: At the Edge of Sea and Space, Carter G. Woodson: Father of Black History and, for Paulist Press, Mother Teresa: A Life of Love, Maximilian Kolbe, and C.S. Lewis: Creator of Narnia. Dr. Stone lives in Melbourne, Florida.
- Author(s)Elaine Murray Stone
- PublisherPaulist Press International,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/01/2003
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationMahwah
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPaulist Press International,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.